Friday, June 23, 2006

Gmail -- Making it "Enterprise Class"

Here are some ideas to make Gmail better:

  1. Make every "button" on the gmail interface "moveable". In other words, I should be able to pick and choose if I want "Archive" on top of my inbox messages, or if I want "Delete" above it.
  2. I should be able to create my own buttons, based on frequent actions I execute. For example, I would like a button that says: "Delete Foreever" right in my inbox message view.
  3. After I am done reading a message, and I delete it... please don't pop back to the Inbox view... can you show me the next message in the queue? Better still, can there be a "paned" approach to viewing email -- so that I can see both the inbox view and the message view at the same time? (Yes, I am spoiled by Outlook).
  4. Attach a file: can we support drag and drop, from my file folders, directly? Also, I would like to select multiple files and drag them in.
  5. Since I use Google Desktop, would it be possible for Gmail to -- based on the message I am creating (and to whom I am sending it to) -- automatically pop up in a side window the possible files that may need to be attached to the message, so that I don't have to search for them? Similarly, Can Google Desktop Search provide a "button" that says: Add to Gmail message?
  6. For the attachments I receieve, can Google Desktop Search "automagically" file them away in the respective folders, based on the content it sees?
  7. Can Gmail support shortcuts: Ctrl-S (save), Ctrl-O (open), Ctrl-D (delete), Ctrl-R (reply), Ctrl-E (Send), Ctrl-W (reply-all), and more?
  8. Why doesn't Gmail support "right click" new window or new tab? For example, as I am composing this message, I would like to right click on "Inbox" and open it in a new tab or a new window...
  9. Yes, I like the fact that you can "search" gmail, and not "file" emails. But, really, I would like to create file folders. I know right now, you can associate labels, and you can search by labels, etc... But, puhlease, can I have my folders?
  10. Finally, in the compose pane, automatically open it with "one CC" and "one BCC". Why do I have to click to add it?
Comments?

No comments: